Tuesday, April 19, 2011

HW 46 - Initial Thoughts on the Care of the Dead

When I think about death I think about the funerals I have attended throughout my life. I have attended about three and the weird thing is it feels like more. I think about those few days the funeral was held and how everyone was crying. When someone in my family dies its very intense just as I’m sure it is for everyone. There are tears and shouts of “why god why”. We gather at the “Ortiz” funeral company and take the time out to mourn the love ones lost. Laminated cards are handed out with the names birth/death days and a prayer that the closest family has picked out. There are usually a lot of people there and everyone is wearing black. Some people get up and say something about the dead, more tears. Then we drive down to the burial site and lower them into the ground.

When someone is placed in the ground I know of a few different things people do to mourn their loved ones. I have a cousin who lost his mother and every year on her birthday he meets with his brother and releases a balloon in the sky, she told him to do that before she passed and she said she would always be looking. Another cousin of mine visits her mother’s funeral because it makes her feel better. Each of these two cousins have tattoos to help them remember their mothers. Everyone has different coping mechanisms and I find that often people keep something physically present or they get something that will forever be there. I have no questions other than general curiosity about how we can deepen this unit by learning new things.

1 comment:

  1. Luz,


    Your initial thoughts on care for the dead was similar to mine, since we both thought about the funerals we've been to in our lives. These thoughts aren't very easy for us to explain because I'm pretty sure you don't visit the dead as a common daily routine. The line I most valued was "Everyone has different coping mechanisms and I find that often people keep something physically present or they get something that will forever be there." I agree with this line a lot because it is a very common practice that society uses to cope with their loses, you can see this in the media a lot. One thing that could have made your homework better was to ask questions that you have about this topic like we did in class.

    ReplyDelete